I’m working with a small team that is divided in two geographical locations. This separation has made collaboration a little challenging which has compromised the quality of the code base. I’m exploring tools that can help us collaborate better, particularly making it easy to review each others code.
Gerrit promises a platform that makes it possible to create ACLs on top of git repositories, so that code can’t be committed until an official approver checks and approves the code. Ideally, the workflow will look something like this:
- Carlos makes changes and commits them to his local repository
- Carlos pushes his changes to Gerrit and creates a code review
- Luis, as an owner of the project reviews the code and suggests changes
- Carlos makes the changes, commits them and updates the code review
- Luis looks at the changes and approves them
- Carlos can now push the changes to upstream